After the announcement of the $1B investment that will boost tourism in Acapulco, the destination is ready to receive tourists from all over the world. These are some of the projects Acapulco will feature during 2017, which make it a top destination to visit in the upcoming year.
· In 2017, the destination will present the largest, over-the-ocean, zip line in the world called XTASEA (Over a mile long reaching 75 mph at an altitude of 328 feet) Scheduled to launch in March 2017 during “Tianguis Turístico,” Mexico’s most important travel tradeshow. This is part of the US $1B investment from Grupo Autofin’s “Master Plan”, which will also include renovations of the iconic Pierre Mundo Imperial and Princess Mundo Imperial, as well as the following new developments: Spa Tlalli, Turtle Dunes Golf Clubhouse, Gourmet Beach, Hotel Prince by Mundo Imperial, Hotel Marqués Boutique, Residences and Luxury Condominiums, Hotel Boutique Only You, Diamante Retirement Homes, Princess Medical Center, Premium Shopping Center, an eco-amusement park called Aventura Guerrero, a new tennis stadium, security towers, and Princess University. These projects are expected to be completed between 2017 and 2022 and will boost tourism and generate more than 10,000 new jobs.
· Acapulco will debut a new state-of-the-art airport terminal by late 2017/early 2018 to welcome over 1.3 million visitors per year. The new terminal features an eco-conscious design and the latest in airport safety regulation. The building, to be located alongside the current terminal, was designed by TAX Arquitectura of Mexico City and will feature more than 194,000 square feet of space, nearly doubling the airport’s current facilities. The new airport facilities will allow for arrival and departures to be separated, ultimately easing operations and increasing passenger flow. The design also provides much more space for modern amenities, technology and services which boost passenger comfort and make flying more enjoyable and safe.
· Connectivity: Aeromexico has committed to promoting international connections to Acapulco through Mexico City in 2017 by adding new flights from the US’ main hubs. Also, United Airlines will start daily direct flight service from Houston to Acapulco as of December 16 through mid-2017. Recently, Oceania Insignia Cruises it has launched several routes that include visits to Acapulco that will continue on through 2017.
· Gastronomy: Come Acapulco launched the new “Ruta Gastrononómica de Acapulco” (The Gastronomic Route of Acapulco), a three-and-a-half hour tour giving travelers a taste of the regional cuisine of Guerrero State with visits to several neighborhood restaurants, a market and a mezcal cocktail spot, all lining Acapulco Bay. This new tour allows vacationers easy access to this gourmet bounty, a delicious, colorful feast for eyes and taste buds, linking foods of the Aztecs and the Spaniards, with accents from across the world, much of it grown and raised locally on the rich soils just inland or freshly caught along the Mexican Riviera’s beaches.
· Two beaches have received the Blue Flag certification in Acapulco, Revolcadero II and Icacos II. The destination received the certification last year for Icacos I and Revolcadero I. Likewise, two of the destination’s hotels were also awarded.
· Vidanta Resorts and Destinations will launch its newest hotel in Acapulco, The Mayan Palace, which will feature 180 luxury rooms, pools, 10 restaurants, theme entertainment nights and more. The Mayan Palace is set to open late 2016/beginning 2017.
· Also, Acapulco is constructing a new Macrotunnel that connects the area of Playa Icacos to the Diamond Zone, set to open in March 2017. In addition, Acapulco debuted ACABus, public buses that provide transportation for tourists and locals alike from the Traditional Zone, which is home to small businesses and its own charming personality, to the Diamond Zone, located on Acapulco’s southern fringes and home to many of the city’s newest resorts and restaurants.
· Acapulco will be, once again, host of Tianguis Turistico, Mexico’s most important travel tradeshow in 2017.
· As Mexico’s original beach destination, tourists can still enjoy Acapulco’s renowned tourist attractions including: the cliff divers show at La Quebrada, a tradition in the port since 1932, which will celebrate its 83rd anniversary during 2017; the famous murals by Diego Rivera; the 400 year-old museum Fort of San Diego, where visitors can discover the history of the destination, amongst others.