No matter what your New Year’s resolution is, Acapulco is the perfect place to fulfill it. Well known for its year-round perfect weather and sandy golden beaches, Acapulco has a lot to offer for all kinds of travelers, regardless of their interests or age. From adventure to relaxation, see our top 10 New Year’s resolutions and how to make them a reality in Mexico’s most traditional vacation spot.
1. Be more adventurous: Push your limits and get out of your comfort zone in Acapulco’s newest attraction. XTASEA, the longest over-the-water zip line in the world, now offers night rides, where adventurers will wear LED suits and helmets to speed through the Marques Bay at up to 75mph. Night or day, XTASEA offers one of the most spectacular views of Acapulco and the perfect backdrop for this one in a lifetime experience.
2. Watch your finances: If you want to save money but are not ready to give up vacationing, Acapulco is a great option for 2018. With more low-cost carriers adding nonstop routes to the Pacific resort town, such as Volaris from Los Angeles and Sunwing from Montreal and Toronto, getting there has become friendlier on the wallet. Add to that that the city offers a wide range of accommodation styles, from youth hostels to five-star luxury hotels. The warm and sunny weather 365 days-a-year, helps save up by creating an equally amazing off peak season travel experience.
3. Learn how to cook: Experience Acapulco like the locals and take home some recipes to impress your friends and family with three-and-a-half-hour tour named “Come Acapulco: Ruta Gastronomica”. Start the day at the Central Market where you’ll buy fresh ingredients alongside the chefs, move on to a tortilla factory and finally head to the restaurant. Here the chefs will teach you, step-by-step, the preparation of traditional Mexican dishes and you’ll get to enjoy what you cook at the end of the class.
4. Save the environment: If your resolution is giving back to the planet to make it a better place, Acapulco has just the plan. Visit one of the numerous turtle sanctuaries that the destination has to offer such as, The Sea Turtle Rescue Center, to learn what the local environmentalist are doing to protect these endangered species. After hatching, sea turtles instinctively migrate towards the sounds of the ocean, however only one in a thousand survive. At the Rescue Center, you get to adopt a turtle and carry it yourself to be released into the ocean, giving it a better chance of survival.
5. Cross a bucket list item off: At least once in your lifetime you must see the legendary Acapulco Cliff Divers, the destination’s oldest and most famous attraction. Professional divers catapult themselves over the 136-foot cliff in a heart-stopping spectacle, where mere seconds are key to success. The waves below swell to a safe depth of 11 feet for only five seconds. Considering the three-second trip to reach the water, there is no room for error. Generations of locals have trained to make this death-defying leap, and visitors can now catch them during one of their five daily displays.
6. Reignite the passion: If reconnecting with your significant other is on your to-do-list for 2018, Acapulco is the place to go. The city is set around a crescent-shaped bay and framed by verdant mountains, making it a spectacular backdrop for all kinds of romantic activities. The city combines a variety of accommodation styles, intimate restaurants, and Instagram-ready tropical settings. Come and discover why John and Jackie Kennedy, Bill and Hillary Clinton and Elizabeth Taylor and Mike Todd, made Acapulco their Honeymoon spot.
7. Don’t sweat the small stuff: Acapulco’s beautiful ocean will wash your worries away. You can also indulge in one of the many spas in the city, and enjoy lush treatments like a tequila massage or an open-air rooftop massage to fully enjoy the Pacific ambience. Treat yourself to one of the many options the city offers, and the scenic landscape will take care of the rest.
8. Discover something new: Acapulco is more than fun in the sun: the city has a vibrant and rich history dating back to the Aztecs. The San Diego Fort, located on a hill in the heart of downtown, was built during the Spanish Empire to protect the city from pirate attacks. Today it houses the Acapulco’s History Museum with exhibits that range from Pre-Columbian archeological relics to military objects. A must-see for history buffs.
9. Dance like no one is watching: 2018’s first party begins with the sensational New Year’s fireworks extravaganza that accentuates the port’s majestic beauty. Feel the thrill of 100,000 firework shells detonated in a ten-minute span, from the Acapulco Bay, Bonfil Beach and Pie de la Cuesta. Acapulco is also just as famous for its nightclubs than it is for its beaches. The city offers a variety of nightly entertainment for every taste. From laid back lounges to have a drink and enjoy the sunset, to lively clubs to dance the night well into sunrise, Acapulco is regarded as a party hotspot.
10. Stop and smell the… lilies: Just 20 miles south of Downtown Acapulco, sits Tres Palos Lagoon, a freshwater lagoon home to several species of fauna and flora. Take a boat through the mangrove tunnels and admire this tropical nature preserve and bird sanctuary, home to white and black herons, pelicans, marabous and storks. Complete your visit by admiring a spectacular pond of water lilies.
For more information on Acapulco, visit www.visitacapulco.travel.
Mexico’s original beach destination, Acapulco is located in the state of Guerrero, Mexico, on the Pacific Coast. Situated on a deep bay with sunshine, balmy temperatures and warm seas year-round, its golden beaches are ideal for relaxing, swimming and enjoying an array of water sports, while the city itself offers history, culture and legendary glamour. The landmark Fort of San Diego dates to the colonial era, and the fully restored, star-shaped fortress, is home to the acclaimed Acapulco Historic Museum. La Quebrada is the place to watch Acapulco’s world-famous cliff divers, whose daring feats are as popular – and thrilling – today as they were 82 years ago. Acapulco has a dynamic dining scene, whose innovative chefs combine Mexican culinary traditions with global inspiration when preparing the finest Pacific seafood complemented with fresh and local ingredients. All of this and more make Acapulco the must-visit beach destination in Mexico.
For more information about events, news and reservations visit www.visitacapulco.travel